Monday, September 28

Instructions for the Birthday Card Organizer

I have received many emails about the birthday card box that I created the other day. Everyone wants a tutorial. I think I originally saw this idea on Nichole Heady’s blog (Capture the Moment), but several other ladies have created similar boxes on SCS. With the way everyone is about copyright infringements, I don’t want to hurt anyone feelings. I will try and explain how I created the box, without doing a tutorial.

I took an envelope, and “opened” it up. I added ¾” to each edge/side to use as a guide. This gave me the basis for my first try. The measurements were not very standard, and I wanted to use my scor-pal -- so I could whip all 12 pockets out in not time. So I changed the depth to ½”.

I used 4 – (8 ½” x 11”) sheets of each color of card stock (Kiwi Kiss, Pacific Point, and So Saffron), and 2 sheets of 12” x 12” (Kiwi Kiss) card stock for the box (not including the embellishments). I am not sure these measurements are the most efficient use of card stock, but here is what I did.

The box is 11 ¼” x 12”, scored 2 ½” in on each side. The back piece of the box is 6 ¼” x 7 ¼”.
Each envelope uses a 7 ½” x 11” piece of card stock. With the 11” side at the top, score at 2”, 2 ½”, 8 ½”, and 9”. Turn the card stock so the 7 ½” side is at the top, score at 4 ½” and 5”. Cut out the bottom with scissors, like you normally do for boxes. (The picture shows these cuts already completed)

For the next part you will need a ruler and a pencil. Lay the card stock with the 11” side at the top. Measure 2 ¼” along the both outer edges of the 2 side flaps, and make a mark with your pencil. You are going to cut from the pencil mark to the outer 2”/9” score marks.

The bottom flap should be 6” along the bottom edge. Make a mark with your pencil at 1-7/8” and 4-1/8”. Then measure ¼” down the both outer edges of the bottom flap, and make a mark with your pencil. You will cut between the ¼” mark and the 1-7/8”& 4-1/8” marks. I line these marks up on my paper cutter and make each cut, but you can draw a faint pencil line and cut them with scissors.

Now crease each score line and attach the bottom flap with Sticky Strip or Scor-Tape. The month tabs were punched out with the Round Tab punch. I used the scraps from cutting the envelope for each tab.

I don’t think I have explained this very well so use the picture as a guide. If you need more help please email me.

2 Comments:

Joy said...

great tutorial! thanks for sharing this with us! what size envelope did you use? I may have to try this...when I have time! hope you have a great week!

Beth Norman said...

I'm so excited. Thank you for the wonderful directions!