Sunday, February 1

A Simple One

I read this post by Leslie from Running With Scissors earlier this week. It made me start thinking. Can you see the wheels turning?

The ladies at work are always so excited about all of my stamping creations. Several of them even want to purchase cards that I have made, but I never think they are good enough. So I have decided to bite the bullet and make a "Cards For Sale" basket to put on my desk at work. I am going to create several simple cards that follow Leslie's "rules". First, they must be mail-friendly -- meaning just a few layers and no big embellishments. Second, they must be an A2 sized card. Third, they should not take me very long to complete.

So with all of that in mind, I created this simple card. I stamped the flower from the Morning Soft stamp set. I colored the flower in with my Sharpie Markers, and sponged around it with Barely Banana ink. Then I stamped the sentiment. I only put one layer behind the flower image. I did stamp Bella Toile on the eggplant layer, (I still love the background stamps). This card took me less then 15 minutes, oh my. So do you like it? I am having a difficult time liking it -- no ribbon, no DP, no embellies, no dimensionals -- I am sure it will grow on me.



Stamps: Morning Soft, Bella Toile
Paper: Elegant Eggplant, Orchid Opulance, Whisper White
Inks: Black Staz on, Barely Banana, Elegant Eggplant
Extras: Sponge, Sharpie Markers

14 Comments:

Rose Ann said...

This is gorgeous, Corie...and your coloring is very beautiful!!

Best of luck with your card sales!! I'm sure you'll find great success!!

Regina said...

Hi Corie,
this card is so lovely.

Rita said...

Beautiful card Corie! I've always said that simple can make the most beautiful cards!!!

Rachel V. said...

Corie - your card is so pretty! Your coloring is gorgeous and the color combo is one of my favs. Keep us updated on the basket...it's always something I've wanted to try to, but never had the guts (or honestly the stash I thought was sale-able).

June Houck said...

Your coloring is so pretty...How do you get it to look so lovely (and not streaky?)

Regarding your card sales: I started the same way too. But now I use embellies (big and small)...whatever my little brain comes up with. Many of my customers are not sending my cards. They hand them to the person. Something to consider... Also, put out everything you don't want too. I started with my ugliest cards, and they all sold. All of your cards are sale worthy, Miss Corie. Congratulations! You are going to be a busy girl.

Unknown said...

Very pretty. Great job on the coloring. Still working on my techniques.....:)

Christi Flores said...

This is gorgeous! Your coloring is fantastic!!

Maria said...

It's funny because I think we are our worst crtitics when it comes to our work and never think it's really good enough. I guess it helps in a way because it motivates us to try harder.

But.. .I think all your cards are GORGEOUS and you should sell them. Anyone receiving them will feel special.

I have the same problem when I don't add blings and things on my card. It's hard to go back to simple when you're accustomed adding ribbons and such. Your card is beautiful. The coloring of the flower is enough to make your card stand out. It doesn't need any more stuff on it to make it any more beautiful!!

Maria

Steph said...

Your card is beautiful!
I struggle with "simple" cards as well, I have a hard time not adding more details. I can make 1 or 2, but by the 4th card, there's ribbon and glitter and stuff all over it! :)

Susan (peebsmama) said...

The coloring on this is fabulous. Good luck with the sales. I do agree that they should be simple. One, because you won't make any money if you spend an hour on each card. And, two, people who don't make cards will be floored enough with the idea of a handmade card. They don't expect or require lots of embellishments.

Michelle L. said...

It's beautiful! I don't think you'll have any trouble selling your stuff - you do great work!

Risa said...

Your card is very beautiful Corie! Try not to be so hard on yorself, your work is outstanding and your creations are awesome!!!!
hugs
Risa:)

Tracy.H said...

Beautiful, Corie! :0)

Emily said...

This is gorgeous Corie! Your coloring looks great! Love the simple layout! Best of luck selling your cards! I'm sure you won't have any problems there! =)